School of Medicine
About Us | History | School of Medicine | Financial Aid | Admission Requirements | Housing Facilities
"Universidad Central del Este''' (UCE) is a private institution is located in the eastern region of Dominican Republic, whose mission is to train professionals in a comprehensive manner and qualified skilled technicians, in various disciplines related to Health Sciences, Humanities, Law | Legal, Management | Administration and Information Technologies, Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering and Natural Resources, through relevant academic programs, extension courses, and other activities that promote individual and collective development. Its vision is to be an institution of national and international renowned prestige, of academic excellence in the development and management of knowledge. It focuses on training professionals, with values based on truth; through service and transformation of social and economic reality; based on the scientific and technological advancement of the region, the country and the world.
Its organizational structure consists of an academic, scientific and service oriented community, whose work is based on achieving values, essential to provide highly qualified talent that can successfully join the society in order to contribute with the development of their community and achieve social and personal progress as an individual as well as a social entity.
Universidad Central del Este (UCE) was established in 1970 at the initiative of Dr. José A. Hazim Azar and a group of collaborators. It acquired its legal entity by Decree No. 1205, issued by the Government Executive on July 2nd, 1971, authorizing us to issue academic diplomas with the same extent, force and validity as those issued by official institutions or autonomous of the same category.
The emerge of the "UCE" marked a milestone of hope for the youth in the Eastern Region of the country who had been watching their aspirations of obtaining a high quality professional degree that would allow them to successfully enter the workforce dissipate. Due to its prestige it achieved to draw attention from students from different countries around the world.
"UCE" was founded with a vision to contribute to the comprehensive development of the region as well as to the country; its strategies have been geared towards teaching, research, community services, as well as cultural and recreational activities.
Since it was founded, its infrastructure was conceived in a way that its academic environment and the comfort of its classrooms still remain.
School of Medicine
In the statements, principles and intentions that define the general profile of the graduate and UCE policy, there is the expressly assumed obligation, faced with the reality of the population's health, to award degrees to professionals with comprehensive training, capable of dealing with and solving problems that are common to their profession.
Given this premise, the study plan for UCE's Degree in Medicine is oriented towards achieving the following objectives:
- Ensuring that students continue their comprehensive training throughout the core curricular elements of the Degree in Medicine, gaining knowledge of the basic sciences relevant to medicine.
- Training students to deal with clinical, public health, economic, social and cultural problems as well as the ecology associated with their environment through the use of techniques and methodology employed to evaluate biological functions. Guaranteeing that students gain sufficient knowledge of the structure, function and normal behavior of human beings in terms of their biological and social integrity as well as the cause, mechanisms and general manifestations of pathological states.
- Enabling students to acquire certain essential habits, acting in accordance with the principles of moral and ethical responsibility. Imbuing them with social and humanist sensitivity that will allow them to correctly interpret and apply their medical knowledge.
- Ensuring that the Degree in Medicine study plan develops in such a way that, by the end of the course, students behave in a manner that reflects the knowledge and skills of a general practitioner. Making sure that students respond professionally to the needs of society, improving people's quality and way of life.
- Providing students with solid knowledge of the basic areas of medicine: Internal Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Community Medicine, Social Service and Mental Health, with emphasis on primary health care, the prevention of illnesses and the promotion of healthy living.
- Providing students with the skills needed to use and apply scientific, clinical and epidemiological methodology, incorporating appropriate technology to deal with and resolve situations involving the diagnosis and treatment of the main individual and collective heath problems.
- Enabling students to incorporate new technical and scientific knowledge and providing them with the knowledge to use bibliographical sources and general scientific documentation techniques.
- Encouraging students to learn things by themselves and develop their intellectual attitude, stimulating their interest through continuous training and enabling them to acquire a critical conscience with respect to the results of their professional work.
- Demonstrating the ability to provide health services such as a General Practitioner, having access to scientific education programs and university teaching. Getting a place through public entrance examinations and/or examinations to determine degrees of knowledge in the different types of postgraduate course.
The academic/professional profile of UCE’s medical degree graduate is not limited to the characteristics deemed desirable to legitimize a university degree or work in a specific profession. It reflects a true integration of academic and work requirements.
Upon meeting study plan requirements, students taking the Degree in Medicine are exposed to various complex situations within the health service system, interacting with professionals, technicians, political and civic groups as well as the community in general. This training and the internalization of UCE's philosophy and principles provide graduates with professional skills characterized by:
- Attitudes and skills that promote and guarantee work in multi-discipline, multi-sectorial teams.
- An understanding of the concept of health and illness, based on the process of the biopsychosocial well-being of the individual, family and community, with the influence of the environment.
- Solid knowledge of social-communal and preventative medicine, pediatrics, gynecology and obstetrics, mental health, primary care in clinical emergencies and care in medical-surgical emergencies.
- An ability to use advanced technology as well as broad knowledge of scientific and epidemiological methodology.
- Skills in administrative and socio-economic areas related to their profession and the social environment in which they interact.
- Broad concepts related to the planning and administration of multi-sectorial development programs.
- An ability to implement methods that help to solve problems that could have significant social repercussions.
- Active participation in community initiatives related to their profession and to the development of the community.
- The willingness to undertake actions that contribute to their professional and personal development.
NAME OF DEGREE: MEDICINE
TITLE AWARDED: DOCTOR OF MEDICINE
Any U.S. Citizen and Eligible Non-citizen may qualify to receive financial Aid. The amount of the loan is based on the grade level and dependency status of the student. The following types of loans are available:
- Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (Plus)
- Plus loan for Graduate Students
- Alternative Loans.
Subsidized Stafford Loans are awarded to students who demonstrate financial obligation. The U.S. government will subsidized the interest rate, meaning that borrowers will not be charged interest while they are enrolled in school for at least half time and during the grace period, which is six month after graduation or withdrawal. The financial need analysis is made at UCE Financial Aid Office.
Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are awarded to students regardless of their financial obligations. However, the borrower will be held responsible for the interest rate that accrues as soon as the loan is disbursed. Students have the option of paying their interest rate while studying or they may also choose to capitalize their interest rate.
- Be U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non citizen
- Be enrolled at least part time at UCE
- Valid Social Security Number
- If required, must be register in Selective Service
- Must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress in accordance to the school’s policy.
Any student on default status on any U.S. student loan cannot receive federal loans until the status or problem is resolved.
A student is considered independent if the answer to one of the fallowing questions is “Yes”:
- Are you 24 years old?
- Will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (pre-medical courses completed and approved)?
- Are you married?
- Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
- Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) that live with you, which receive more than half of their support from you now and through the award year?
- Are you an orphan or under custody?
- Were you under custody until age 18?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
Students are eligible for the following annual loan limits:
(Remember that 1 academic year= 2 semester= 8 calendar months)
Additional to these loans, parents of dependent students can receive Federal PLUS Loans, is a loan based on the parents’ credit. In case that the parent does not qualify, the status of the student will automatically change and becomes an independent student. Meaning, the student may now receive additional unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds, up to the loan limits for an independent student.
The maximum outstanding subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loan debt allowed is US$138,500 for Medical Students (including loans for pre-medical study). In case of the Pre-medical level only, a dependent student may accumulate a loan limit of US$23,000 and an independent student US$46,000.
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill out the Federal Loan Application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Our School code is G10977.
- Complete the Admissions Process by submitting all the required documents.
- After receiving an electronic response of the FAFSA, which is called the Student Aid Report (SAR), the school will evaluate the application and begin the loan process.
- After registration, the following documents must be filled out at the Financial Aid Office:
The first disbursement check will be distributed 30 to 45 days after classes beginning.
- Master Promissory Note
- Office Application Form
- Entrance Interview
- Any other document required by UCE
FINANCIAL AID FOR NON U.S. STUDENTS
UCE also has available student loans for Canadian Citizens and International Students. These loans are subject to lender and guarantor approval process. For application please contact our Financial Aid Office.
For more information or details please contact Financial Aid Department at:
(809)529-3562 Ext.: 224/225/237
UCE offers housing facilities at the Howard Johnson Hotel, located minutes away from campus. Our low plans include the following:
Room Service: Air Conditioner/ Cable TV/Telephone Service (Free Incoming Call)/Refrigerator/Microwave/Room Service/Hot water
- Kitchenette in common area
- Use of Hotel Facilities, such as Swimming Pool and Tennis Court
- 24 hour security
- Free Parking
- Transportation to and from campus (depending on the demand)
- 15% discount in our facilities
- Special Rates for laundry
UCE offers information relating other housing services, but is not held responsible for the student’s decision. We recommend that new student reside at the hotel, until they get familiarize with the environment prior to trying other options.
For more information please contact the hotel at:
Howard Johnson Hotel Macorix
Tel. (809) 339-2100 Ext 2137 / 2100
Fax (809) 529-9239.